Nature is a precious resource that we must protect, but often we get caught up in our daily routines and don’t realize we can make Earth positive choices every day through what we eat, buy or don’t buy, how we invest, and more. Earth Month provides a perfect opportunity to reflect on our daily habits and take steps to reduce our environmental impact. One way to do this is by participating in Earth Month Bingo, a fun and engaging way to learn about sustainability and win prizes at the same time! Grab the Bingo Card here for download.
Here are five examples of actions you can take to complete the Earth Month Bingo Card and their importance:
1. Try a new green cleaning or personal care product – The products we use every day can have a significant impact on the environment. Many traditional cleaning and personal care products contain harmful chemicals that can pollute the air and water. By trying a new green product, you can reduce your exposure to harmful chemicals and support local sustainable businesses, like WeFill and Durango Sustainable Goods, that prioritize sustainability.
2. Attend Earth Day Durango event on April 22, 2023 – Attending on Earth Day event is a great way to connect with your community and learn about local sustainability initiatives. Earth Day Durango provides an opportunity to learn about environmental issues and connect with others who are passionate about sustainability.
3. Listen to 2 Earth Day podcasts – Podcasts are a fantastic way to learn about environmental issues and explore new perspectives. By listening to two Earth Day podcasts, you can gain valuable insights into the challenges facing our planet and discover new ways to take action.
4. Prepare a vegetable garden – Growing your own vegetables is not only a great way to reduce your carbon footprint by reducing the amount of energy used in transporting food, but it’s also a great way to ensure you have access to fresh, healthy produce. Preparing a vegetable garden can be a fun and rewarding way to get started with sustainable living. Check out Botanical Concepts for local seeds and starts. And don’t forget composting your food waste is a big step toward reducing methane, a climate change causing greenhouse gas (GHG) emitter. Try your hand at back yard composting or subscribe to local Table to Farm Composting for weekly pick up.
5. Make one new plant-based recipe – The production of industrial animal-based products requires significant resources such as land, water, and energy. By incorporating more regeneratively ranched (think: James Ranch) meat, dairy, and plant-based meals into our diets, we can reduce our environmental impact and support more sustainable food systems. Making one new plant-based recipe can be a fun and delicious way to explore plant-based options. Try local company Luv Tempeh for inspiration!
Of course, there are many other actions you can take to reduce your environmental impact during Earth Month, on Earth Day, and beyond. Here are a few additional ideas to inspire you:
- Reduce your energy usage by turning off lights and electronics when not in use
- Reduce your water usage by taking shorter showers and fixing leaks
- Reduce your waste by upcycling, recycling, and composting
- Support local businesses that prioritize sustainability
- Participate in community clean-up events, sustainability workshops, and film events
- swap out plastics from every room in your home by refilling your bottles and eliminating plastic in the first place with zero waste bath (think: tooth paste tabs and reusable silicone ear swabs), beauty (think: replaceable makeup in bamboo or glass containers, and home goods of all kinds (think: recycled glassware, bamboo compost bins, organic table linens, etc.)
Remember, every action counts when it comes to building a climate fit for life on Earth. By participating in Earth Month Bingo and making small changes to your daily habits, you can make a meaningful difference for the future of our planet.
By completing the tasks on the Bingo Card and exploring additional actions you can take, you can create a more sustainable lifestyle and inspire others to do the same, plus you could win $500+ in sustainable prizes. So participate in Earth Month Bingo all April and be the change you want to see. See you at the Earth Day Durango parade and celebration at Buckley park on April. 22, 2023!